Saturday, January 10, 2009

Death

My sister died Thursday and the funeral was today.

The morning she died I was looking out my kitchen window at the little stream running thru my backyard. I felt like she had left us and joined the water. The stream was made up of thousands of souls who were traveling down the creek, to the pond, to the river and the ocean. Some of them would evaporate and come back to earth. Some would just luxuriate in being together; rolling over and under in the softness. Clare might giggle as she traveled over the rocks in the stream. It would feel so good. And she would find such peace surrounded by the other souls.

Life had gotten so hard for her. I saw her just before she went to the hospital, she looked and me and said, "I don't know what I'm going to do." She was so worried about being so sick and helpless. I'm not sure she ever acknowledged that she was dying. Maybe she just didn't want to upset anyone else. And none of us talked about it because we didn't upset her.

2009 has not started well. I expect it will get worse.

No comments: