Sunday, May 11, 2008

I'm Dying Today

I've just spent 2 days Oooing and Ahhhing over the beautiful hand dyed lace yarns that could be used for my mystery shawl. But I've promised myself I wouldn't buy new yarn until my current stash was reduced to something less embarrassing. So today I'm making my first attempt at dying yarn.

I have a LARGE cone of wool lace weight yarn. So I wound some off and gave it a try. Right now it's steaming. Once it's steamed for 30 minutes, and cooled I can rinse it and see what I've done. My colors are probably not the best - deep turquoise, dark forest green, pine green and plum. The pine green seems a bit dull, but we'll see. I probably should have stuck with just 3 colors.

Today is Mother's Day. I got cards from 2 of my stepchildren and from the dog and cat. My own children haven't come thru yet, but it's still early. I had expected to be sad today, because I'm estranged from my older daughter, but I did get a very nice message from her on Friday - so I'm feeling pretty good after all.

I've had to hunt down yet another skein of the purple yarn to finish the shawl from Hell. I still have about 22 rows to go - and if I can do 2 rows a day I'm doing well. It just has to be finished before the mystery shawl KAL (knit-a-long) begins.

Oh, the baby wrens in the garage have hatched. I've heard them, but not seen them yet. Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's out there.

No comments: